Tuesday, April 20, 2010

iPhone Moon



Anyone can do astrophotography. To prove it, I took a picture of the moon using just my iPhone 3GS. I aimed it at the sky, tapped on the moon, then took the picture. I didn't even steady it against anything.

It was 2010 April 20 at 7:37 pm, and it was still twilight - that helped to reduce the contrast. The exposure time was 1/60 seconds at f/2.8.



If you look carefully, you can see a darkening near the terminator. That is a combination of Mare Serenitatis (Sea of Serenity) and Mare Tranquillitatis (Sea of Tranquility).

For comparison, here is a computer generated image for the same approximate time:

2 comments:

  1. Stellar! ★

    ...or perhaps I should say "Lunar!"☾ - considering? ;)

    PS - YOU may see the seas, when you look carefully, Paul ...but when I do, I see the face of the man in the moon! Either way, luv the pic (s). :)

    :)>

    ReplyDelete
  2. Are you saying I lack an imagination? :)

    When the moon is full, I DO see a face in the moon.

    Here some other things people see instead of the man in the moon:

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Man_in_the_Moon

    ReplyDelete